Dell Update Packages (DUP) and LiveCD/DVD

Calvin Webster cwebster at ec.rr.com
Wed Oct 19 06:21:31 CDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 20:51 +0100, George Hills wrote:
> On 18/10/11 19:39, Cal Webster wrote:
>
> > I feel compelled to point out, however, that many of these individual
> > updates (DUP) do not work on all compatible Enterprise Linux platforms.
> > After wrestling with the LiveDVD's and individual *.BIN updates, I've
> > come to realize that they were probably built on and designed to run on
> > CentOS 5.
>
> Some of them check the /etc/redhat-release also, and expect it to be a
> Red Hat one rather than CentOS or another rebuild.
>
> "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)" is good.

Actually, there is no difference in the contents of /etc/redhat-release
between CentOS and RHEL for a given release.

It's great if the updates actually check it but if there's a problem
with prerequisites it should immediately exit and report missing
prerequisites... you know, like an actual RPM would do. Instead, it
either falsely reports success (RHEL 4) or fails with shell errors (RHEL
6) that don't lead to the core issues.

I'm not sure why the DUP updates are packaged the way they are, with a
script at the top of the file and a payload at the bottom. Why not just
build an RPM? The target system is RHEL, after all.

> > The installation notes on the download pages are insufficient
> > to successfully install the updates. It would be helpful if release
> > notes or install instructions would point out prerequisites (i.e. CentOS
> > 5, procmail, compat-libstdc++-33) prior to the customer install attempt.
>
> My starting point (on a 64-bit box) is "yum install procmail glibc.i686
> compat-libstdc++-33.i686 libstdc++.i686 libxml2.i686 zlib.i686
> libxml2.i686 libXp.i686 libXtst.i686 ncurses-libs pam.i686"

Thank you George but that's part of my point... Any dependencies
required should be on the download page and should be checked and
reported first, when the user executes the update. A properly
constructed RPM would do this automatically.

./Cal