BIOS / Firmware updates on Dell R910 (RHEL 5.7 64-bit)

Sabuj Pattanayek sabujp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 13:23:22 CDT 2011

I just updated the BIOS on a PE R910 last week, and the BIOS in OMSA
was 2.4.3 when the Dell website showed 2.4.5, not sure what it's at
now. Using the update_firmware procedure, the BIOS failed to update
due to some XML or missing file error IIRC. One fix was to go into the
directory :

cd /usr/share/firmware/dell/dup/system_ven_0x1028_dev_0x02d3/dell_dup_componentid_00159_version_2.2.3

and then run :

dellBiosUpdate -f R910-020203C.hdr -u

Which says that the file is staged, but after a reboot no BIOS update
is performed. I then tried the 2.4.5 .bin file from support.dell.com
but that didn't work for me either, all I got was a failure message (I
was at 1.0.1 at the time). Eventually I downloaded the .exe / windows
version, ran biosdisk on it, and was able to get the BIOS updated
through the DOS boot it sets up in grub.

Another thing I've noticed is that the backplane firmware from 1.0.0
to 1.0.1 refuses to update for me.