bios update for r910

Srinivas_G_Gowda at Dell.com Srinivas_G_Gowda at Dell.com
Fri Oct 14 01:11:31 CDT 2011

Bruce,
There is no need to recompile the kernel...

Thanks,

From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Bruce LaBuda
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:26 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: bios update for r910

I am upgrading the bios on a r910 from 1.2 to the latest (2.4.5).

The host operating system is RHEL 5.

This statement in the bios readme concerns me...

"On PowerEdge R910 systems, upgrading BIOS from a version earlier than
2.1.0 to version 2.1.0 or later, results in re-enumeration of add-in PCIe cards in slots 1-4 and 6. If your image was built using a BIOS version earlier than 2.1.0, then the PCIe re-enumeration could require modifying your image to account for the changes. For example, if you have custom settings on cards in the affected slots, you may have to re-apply these settings after the BIOS update."

I have a QLogic HBA in slot 1.  Has anyone done this update?  Will I have to recompile the kernel image?

Thanks,

Bruce LaBuda
University of Wisconsin
Division of Information Technology