Racks

Jens Weibler jens.weibler at h-da.de
Tue Mar 22 17:06:04 CDT 2011

On 22.03.2011 19:18, Mark Elkins wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 16:44 +0100, Richard Ems wrote:
>> On 03/22/2011 01:48 PM, Nick Lunt wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> think I'm going mad.. the very bottom U on a rack is usable isn't it?
>> The very bottom U are all usable on all my racks.
>>
>> Another possible reason more to add to the ones mentioned before for
>> leaving some 2/3/4 U free at the bottom, is to have some free space for
>> a late BIG HEAVY UPS installation.
> That is the first thing I put in my racks! A nice APC (batteries can be
> changed on the fly) - 2 or 3U's of 3KVA. Allows the racks to be moved
> around without powering off the entire rack. (Umm - my racks have
> wheels). Lots of nice lead at the bottom of the rack lowers the centre
> of balance :-)

same here - it was really great when we had to move our servers to
another room :)

The Dell racks were small enough to get through the doors..
But even with 5U APC at the bottom I install the stabilizers - just to
be safe ;)

btw: it was a "nice" story..

1. emptied server room
http://fotos.fbihome.de/v/album/hda_d10_umbau/DSC_3392.JPG.html

2. much work -> much dust
http://fotos.fbihome.de/v/album/hda_d10_umbau/IMG_4613.JPG.html
http://fotos.fbihome.de/v/album/hda_d10_umbau/IMG_4634.JPG.html

3. room cleaned (more or less)
http://fotos.fbihome.de/v/album/hda_d10_umbau/IMG_4821.JPG.html

4. everything moved back
http://fotos.fbihome.de/v/album/hda_d10_umbau/IMG_4860.JPG.html

5. all servers get dirty
http://fotos.fbihome.de/v/album/hda_d10_umbau/IMG_6523.JPG.html
(see the following pictures for horror show)

We moved out of the room und all servers got  dirty after moving back
in.... *grrr*
In the end all servers were cleaned by Belfor (they did a really great job!)
Insurance had to pay for it

--
Jens Weibler
IT Services