Jens Weibler jens.weibler at h-da.de
Tue Mar 22 17:06:04 CDT 2011

On 22.03.2011 19:18, Mark Elkins wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 16:44 +0100, Richard Ems wrote:
>> On 03/22/2011 01:48 PM, Nick Lunt wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>> think I'm going mad.. the very bottom U on a rack is usable isn't it?
>> The very bottom U are all usable on all my racks.
>> Another possible reason more to add to the ones mentioned before for
>> leaving some 2/3/4 U free at the bottom, is to have some free space for
>> a late BIG HEAVY UPS installation.
> That is the first thing I put in my racks! A nice APC (batteries can be
> changed on the fly) - 2 or 3U's of 3KVA. Allows the racks to be moved
> around without powering off the entire rack. (Umm - my racks have
> wheels). Lots of nice lead at the bottom of the rack lowers the centre
> of balance :-)

same here - it was really great when we had to move our servers to
another room :)

The Dell racks were small enough to get through the doors..
But even with 5U APC at the bottom I install the stabilizers - just to
be safe ;)

btw: it was a "nice" story..

1. emptied server room

2. much work -> much dust

3. room cleaned (more or less)

4. everything moved back

5. all servers get dirty
(see the following pictures for horror show)

We moved out of the room und all servers got  dirty after moving back
in.... *grrr*
In the end all servers were cleaned by Belfor (they did a really great job!)
Insurance had to pay for it

Jens Weibler
IT Services

Hochschule Darmstadt