Dell OMSA PE R300 Network Issue, Ubuntu 10.04

Stevie iglablues at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 08:24:41 CDT 2011

Hello-

I installed OMSA on my PowerEdge R300 following the instructions at
http://linux.dell.com/repo/community/deb/latest/. I installed version 6.4, and
after doing so it seems to break my networking in some way. I initially
installed srvadmin-base, srvadmin-webserver, and srvadmin-storageservices. I
started dataeng and started checking out the omconfig options. Shortly
thereafter I lost connection to my server (I was using SSH) and could not ping
the network interface. I logged in to the console and verified that I could not
ping outside from the server either, I restarted networking services and it
restored the connection, but again only for a bit and then it stopped working
again. I uninstalled all of the OMSA components and network connectivity
returned for good. I experimented with this twice. As I said the first time I
installed the above three components; the second time I only installed
srvadmin-base. Same symptoms happened then as well. I noticed during my second
installation that it seemed to have installed something called "Network
management services" and I'm wondering if this could be interfering with my
network configuration. I couldn't find any documentation of this as an
individual component to opt out of during the installation, so I'd like to at
least be able to stop this service if possible. Is any one familiar with this
scenario?

PowerEdge R300
Ubuntu Server Edition 10.04 x64
OMSA 6.4 installed
NICs are bonded (only one actually connected to a switch though) and statically
assigned an IP

Thanks,
SC