Setting Service Tag on R710

John Hanks john.hanks at colorado.edu
Fri Jul 15 16:18:04 CDT 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to set the service tag on an R710 using the smbios-sys-info
utility. It almost works:

[root at node-5xgdbm1 ~]# smbios-sys-info --service-tag --set 5XGDBM1
Current tag value:
Service Tag:

Setting new tag value: 5XGDBM1
[root at node-5xgdbm1 ~]# smbios-sys-info --asset-tag --set 5XGDBM1
Current tag value:
Asset Tag:

Setting new tag value: 5XGDBM1
[root at node-5xgdbm1 ~]# smbios-sys-info
Libsmbios version:      2.2.26
Product Name:           PowerEdge R710
Vendor:                 Dell Inc.
BIOS Version:           2.1.9
System ID:              0x0235
Service Tag:            5XGDBM1
Express Service Code:   12906790921
Asset Tag:              5XGDBM1
Property Ownership Tag:

But then after a reboot things are reset to not having a Service Tag:

[root at node-5xgdbm1 ~]# smbios-sys-info
Libsmbios version:      2.2.26
Product Name:           PowerEdge R710
Vendor:                 Dell Inc.
BIOS Version:           2.1.9
System ID:              0x0235
Service Tag:
Express Service Code:   0
Asset Tag:              5XGDBM1
Property Ownership Tag:

Is there a way to do this from linux and have the value survive a
reboot? I'm hoping to not have to reboot this (and other) servers to a
dos image just to set the service tag. And would really like a
solution I could use without rebooting at all.

Thanks,

jbh