PoDrive Verification Utility Suggestion?

Steve Jenkins stevejenkins at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 12:32:08 CST 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 4:13 AM, J. Epperson
<Dell at epperson.homelinux.net> wrote:
> Thanks for sharing those--they both look like they're only viable for
> someone who can take the machine offline, but I wasn't aware of the
> Seatools Linux version.  Will be a nice addition to my bootable bag of
> tricks on a USB drive.

Hey, Jake. I believe that if your SCSI drives are standalone (not in a
RAID array), you can run the tests while the drive is online and
mounted. However, all my production drives are in arrays on various
PERCs, so yeah - this approach is limited to a test environment.

If the old dusty 2550 that was sitting in the corner (but that is now
sitting on the conference room table) was USB bootable, I'd prefer the
USB approach, too. But instead I took one of the 36GB Seagate drives
that verified OK, low-level formatted it, installed CentOS 5.5 on it
(I would have opted for a newer distro but I couldn't get the 2550 to
boot Ubuntu 10.* or Fedora 1* live CDs), and then created a test
environment on it.

In addition to the SeaTools Linux CLI, I compiled and installed
sg_utils. Along with smartctl and badblocks (which are already
installed with CentOS 5), I can run all the tests I want and clean out
a few piles of old drives.

Steve(PoTypingSkillz)J