C6105 - Management

Jens Dueholm Christensen Jens.Dueholm at r-m.com
Mon Feb 21 05:28:10 CST 2011

Newer DRAC cards use VNC for console access and access are provided via Java Web Start (.jnlp files) that runs well under both windows and *nix and connect to the DRAC cards virtual KVM.

Yes, older DRAC cards (v4's) used a windows-only ActiveX plugin, but as new servers doesn't have v4 DRAC cards that's no longer an issue.

Also a DRAC card has a dedicated NIC and can be used to access the hardware out-of-band (where as IPMI is sise-band). This makes it possible to turn on devices that would otherwise require physical contact (ie. it is NOT wake on lan).

For high-availability and production-grade systems I would always go for something with DRAC.

If your needs are not that high and you can live with something that's not totally controllable by remote then you should be fine.

Regards,
Jens Dueholm Christensen
Survey IT