RHEL4 yum chokes on fwupdate metadata, again

Matt_Domsch at Dell.com Matt_Domsch at Dell.com
Tue Feb 8 14:51:06 CST 2011

Actually, I caught Seth a few nights ago on IRC, we worked through the problem, and he provided a patch to yum/createrepo to address it.  He got bit by a change in the XML generator libraries that was not emitting a (now-empty) field which it used to emit.  So, it's createrepo on Fedora 14, but with that one-line patch to fix it, which will be in future yum releases.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist
Dell | Office of the CTO

-----Original Message-----
From: James Ralston [mailto:qralston+ml.dell-poweredge at andrew.cmu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 2:32 PM
To: Domsch, Matt; Mendoza, Jeff
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: RHEL4 yum chokes on fwupdate metadata, again

On 2011-01-24 at 15:30-06 Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch at dell.com> wrote:

> can you confirm the versions of yum-* and rpm-* you have installed
> please?  The yum developers are stumped...

yum-2.4.3 and rpm-4.3.3.

On 2011-01-24 at 16:26-06 Jeffrey_L_Mendoza at Dell.com wrote:

> I believe createrepo 0.4.x is needed to work with RHEL 4 yum (2.4.x).
> createrepo 0.9.x is too new.

Unfortunately, that wouldn't surprise me.  Historically, yum hasn't paid much attention to interoperability between different versions of yum and createrepo.  If you want to be absolutely certain that a particular distro's version of yum can consume the metadata produced by a particular version of createrepo, you need to use the version of createrepo that came with that distro.

Personally, I'd like to see createrepo support an option to specify what target version of yum it is building metadata for, and just Do The Right Thing.  E.g.:

    $ createrepo --yum-target-version 2.4.3         # RHEL4
    $ createrepo --yum-target-version 3.2.22        # RHEL5
    $ createrepo --yum-target-version 3.2.27        # RHEL6
    $ createrepo --yum-target-version 3.2.28        # F14

But I've never gotten the impression that Seth and company are interested in doing anything like this.

At any rate, I note that the fwupdate repo metadata no longer chokes
RHEL4 yum, so I'm guessing you reverted back to the older createrepo.
Thanks!