DRAC 5 remote graphical console with Debian Lenny

Philip Tait philip at naoj.org
Thu Feb 3 16:46:25 CST 2011

I'm sorry, I didn't explain myself properly.

I can open up side-by-side DRAC 5 graphical console sessions, one
connected to a PE 2950 running Centos 5.5, one connected to a PE2900
running Debian lenny.

The CentOS system's DRAC5 console display is steady and completely
legible at 1280x1024. The Debian system's DRAC5 console display is
"washed out" and has columns of flickering pixels at the same
resolution. (The Debian system's local console display is fine).

Doesn't matter what the displaying machine is - openSUSE, CentOS, or
whatever. Doesn't matter what browser - Firefox or Chrome are equally
good. Doesn't matter which Java - IcedTea or Sun.

Furthermore, the same PE 2900 was previously configured with CentOS
5.4 at one time, and the remote console display was fine.

This is why I am assuming there is something wrong with the Debian
system's X settings, but I can't pin it down.

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 23:17, Stroller <stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 3/2/2011, at 2:28am, Philip Tait wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know the trick to getting a legible display with Debian
>> Lenny? I get a perfectly clear remote display at 1280x1024 on another
>> DRAC 5 with CentOS 5.5 - I have copied the settings to the Debian
>> system, but the colours are all "washed out", and I get columns of
>> flickering pixels.
>
> Advise using `ssh -X ip.of.CentoOS.box 'firefox http://ip.of.drac.5'` from the Debian machine.
>
> Do both systems use the same vendor & version of Java for their browser plug-in?
>
> Stroller.

Philip J. Tait, Software Engineer (FMOS,HSC)
http://subarutelescope.org