Mac address changes upon reboot on PE2950

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Wed Feb 2 08:46:43 CST 2011

On Wed, February 2, 2011 04:10, Hanne Munkholm wrote:

> In Debian you can hardwire the Mac address to the ethernet
> interface name in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.
>
> In RedHat/CentOS I don't know but it sounds likely that setting
> the HWADDR= in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX, as
> someone suggests, will do the trick.

Yes, we find that effective on RHEL4-5 and CentOS5 machines.  Ours
typically have primary network interface, another for ocfs/Oracle RAC
heartbeat, and another for dedicated Netbackup bandwidth.  We had problems
with interface names changing until we developed standards and a process
of sending out the ifcfg files with new NICs/servers.