Mac address changes upon reboot on PE2950

Robert von Bismarck robert.vonbismarck at vtx-telecom.ch
Wed Feb 2 03:47:45 CST 2011

> A guess. Is it possible that there are also eth2 and eth3 (a
> single dual-NIC card, like eth0/eth1) that are not normally
> configured, and are a different model of NIC from eth0 and
> eth1? If so, you may have got bitten by a different driver
> probe order, and you perhaps don't use HWADDR in your ifcfg-* files.
>
> Steve

Good idea, but there are no add-in cards in this box, only the on-board
NIC's.

# lspci | grep -i ethernet
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5708
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 12)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5708
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 12)

We always set HWADDR in the ifcfg-ethX files since some issues we had
with gen9+ servers, where eth0 became eth1 and vice-versa between
PXE-boot + kickstart and boot of installed OS.
I also checked the ifcfg-ethX files and MACADDR is not set. Also kudzu
is disabled so there should not have been any new hardware detection
running.
The second PE2950g2, identical in the software specs (just name and IP
addresses are different), got the same update and did not show these
symptoms.
The only difference, as far as we can tell, is the BMC firmware version
(2.37 on the "bad" box, 1.33 on the "good" box). Could this have been
the source of the change ?
I quickly went through the "Fixes and enhancements" part of the various
BMC firmware releases on the dell support site, and there's some info
about DHCP and other network issues being fixed. I wonder if this could
be related.

Cheers,

Robert