Issues with OpenManage + CentOs 5.4

Chris Szilagyi chris at apex-internet.com
Thu Sep 30 21:48:40 CDT 2010

Finally have success!  Everything is working perfect.  Here's what I ended
up doing to get it working, from start to finish:

- Install SNMP: "yum install net-snmp net-snmp-utils"
- Download & extract OMSA 5.5 from support.dell.com, filename is:
OM_5.5.0_ManNode_A00.tar.gz
- Set the environment variable to disable system checks: "export
OMIIGNORESYSID=1"
- Copy out the following RPMS from the folder: linux/RPMS/RHEL5, to a
temporary folder:

   srvadmin-cm-5.5.0-364.i386.rpm
   srvadmin-deng-5.5.0-364.i386.rpm
   srvadmin-hapi-5.5.0-364.i386.rpm
   srvadmin-ipmi-5.5.0-364.rhel5.i386.rpm
   srvadmin-isvc-5.5.0-364.i386.rpm
   srvadmin-iws-5.5.0-364.i386.rpm
   srvadmin-jre-5.5.0-364.i386.rpm
   srvadmin-omacore-5.5.0-364.i386.rpm
   srvadmin-omauth-5.5.0-364.rhel5.i386.rpm
   srvadmin-omhip-5.5.0-364.i386.rpm
   srvadmin-omilcore-5.5.0-364.i386.rpm
   srvadmin-storage-5.5.0-364.i386.rpm
   srvadmin-syscheck-5.5.0-364.i386.rpm

   Note: I selected these RPMs to provide just the OMSA monitoring
utilities, web interface, including the storage components.  If you do
not install "srvadmin-storage", you will not see the disks, arrays, SCSI
controllers, etc.

- In the temporary folder with the RPMs, install them with: "rpm -Uvh *.rpm".
- After the RPMs install, restart the SNMP service: "service snmpd restart"
- Start the OMSA services with : "srvadmin-services.sh start"
- Connect to the OMSA page: https://yourserver:1311, and log in with root.

It took 10-20 seconds for the web interface to come up, but it's working
perfectly.  I haven't rebooted the server, however the following services
are set to start up automatically on boot which I'm assuming will start
everything (I use the "ntsysv" utility to view startup services):

[*] dsm_om_connsvc
[*] dsm_om_shrsvc

Thank you very much to Wayne Weilnau @ Dell for all of the research on which
version to use, and everybody else for all of the feedback and help.  As he
stated, they left code for the PE2400 in OMSA 5.5, even though it is not
officially supported.  Hopefully this will help others trying to get OMSA on
the latest versions of CentOS to work with older Dell systems.

--
Chris

> Per the instructions from Giulio Orsero in a previous post, the solution is
> to set the environment variable that you mentioned, which will skip the
> system checks.  So, this did work and the RPMs did install by running:
>
> export OMIIGNORESYSID=1
> rpm -Uvh *.rpm
>
> Then running "srvadmin-services.sh start" started up all of the services
> except for one:
>
> Starting dsm_sa_datamgr32d:                                [FAILED]
>
> The web interface comes up and I can log in, however the same issue is there
> where no devices are listed.  I am going to look at the SNMP setup side of
> this now, as I am wondering if that isn't part of the problem here.
>
> Thank you very much for the feedback.
>

>> I thought this bit in the code was interesting but I'm not sure how to set
>> it... I think it means ignore my sysid which should ignore the fact that
>> you
>> have a 2400?
>>
>> -z means True of the length if "STRING" is zero. So I guess you need to
>> set
>> it to 1 somehow... maybe in your environment variables though I'm not
>> positive.
>>
>>>       # if SYSID is to be ignored, do not check for systemid!
>>>       if [ -z "${OMIIGNORESYSID}" ];
>>
>> Regards
>>

>> Steve Tempest

>>> VENDOR=DELL