ordering a T610: what options?

Louis-David Mitterrand vindex+lists-linux-poweredge at apartia.org
Thu Sep 30 08:00:29 CDT 2010

Hi,

I am about to order a T610 but find some options baffling.

This will be a backup server with 8 sata disks running linux software
raid (raid6 mdadm). So it needs no raid hardware, just a competent sata
controller.

Here are my questions:

- what "Raid Connectivity" (C0 to C16) should I select?

- which "Raid Controller" is the best in plain JBOD mode? Which will
  allow 'smartctl' to monitor the individual disks' health?

- do I need to order 8 disks from Dell to get 8 sata hotplug trays
  preinstalled?

- which is best among low-voltage/standard UDIMM/RDIMM ? (there is also
  an "Others" RAM choice, what is that?)

Thanks,