Possible rebuild a RAID-1 vol on a SAS 6/i controller using mdadm or dmsetup?

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Wed Sep 29 02:34:56 CDT 2010

On 29/09/10 05:47, Spike_White at dell.com wrote:
> When we blow a SAS 6/I controller on a R710 and replace the motherboard,
> can we use mdadm or dmsetup to re-create our RAID 1 OS vol?  How does
> this work? Do we install one of the disks as the primary, then let it
> rebuild the secondary?  Or is it smart enough to know that the two disks
> already have identical content?

Spike,

I may be misunderstanding your situation here but my understanding is
that with mdadm the RAID information is stored on the disk in the
superblock, so you should just be able to plug the drives into the new
mobo and it will "Just Work". The SAS 6/i is a plain controller, isn't
it? ie. it's not doing any RAID?

R.
--
"Feed that ego and you starve the soul" - Colonel J.D. Wilkes
http://www.theshackshakers.com/