Possible rebuild a RAID-1 vol on a SAS 6/i controller using mdadm or dmsetup?

Spike_White at Dell.com Spike_White at Dell.com
Tue Sep 28 23:47:25 CDT 2010

When we blow a SAS 6/I controller on a R710 and replace the motherboard, can we use mdadm or dmsetup to re-create our RAID 1 OS vol?  How does this work? Do we install one of the disks as the primary, then let it rebuild the secondary?  Or is it smart enough to know that the two disks already have identical content?

Obviously, we'd have to boot off a rescue USB w/ mdadm or dmsetup on it.  But that's not any big hurdle.

Spike