Dumping the BMC/DRAC event log without installing a bunch of software on R410 Ubuntu 10

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Tue Sep 28 12:55:36 CDT 2010

cgm wrote:

> > The ipmitool from Dell repos also decode the DIMMs etc (like OMSA does)
> > ipmitool delloem sel list
>
> This is the DELL patched ipmitool, I suggest get the rpm from (or navigate
> up for some RH version close to your linux distro )
>
> http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/latest/platform_independent/rh50_64/ipmitool/

Given the issues (previously discussed on this mailing list) with the Dell "patches" to ipmitool, I wouldn't recommend that over the standard version, especially since the Dell-patched ipmitool is not needed to see the SEL (system event log), you can use the standard ipmitool sel list command to see this.  The formatting is different, but I don't think that the delloem version really adds anything that important:

[root at sli ~]# ipmitool sel list
   1 | 09/01/2010 | 18:21:16 | Event Logging Disabled #0x72 | Log area reset/cleared | Asserted
[root at sli ~]# ipmitool sel elist
   1 | 09/01/2010 | 18:21:16 | Event Logging Disabled SEL | Log area reset/cleared | Asserted
[root at sli ~]# ipmitool delloem sel list
Severity          : Normal
Date and Time     : System Boot
Description       : System Board SEL: Event Log sensor for System Board, log cleared was asserted

[root at sli ~]# ipmitool sel help
SEL Commands:  info clear delete list elist get add time save readraw writeraw interpret
[root at sli ~]# ipmitool delloem sel help

   sel list
      When used without any arguments, entire contents of SEL are displayed
      first <count>
         Displays first (least recent) count entries in SEL. Count of 0 will display all entries
      last <count>
         Displays last (most recent) count entries in SEL. Count of 0 will display all entries

If you're having trouble installing ipmitool on your Ubuntu system, you could also probably use the FreeIPMI ipmi-sel command to view the SEL.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IPMI
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/maverick/man7/freeipmi.7.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/freeipmi/manpages/man8/ipmi-sel.8.html

@alex