Possible disk corruption - help and advice appreciated

Faris Raouf asterisk at raouf.net
Wed Sep 22 09:50:32 CDT 2010

> I believe that recent mdadm will understand the metadata format that
> SAS5/SAS6 controllers use, and you should be able to then use the linux
> software RAID to get a count of inconsistencies between the two halves of
> the mirror.
>
> If mdadm doesn't grok the metadata, then dmraid definitely does (but I
> don't know if/how device mapper's RAID code does consistency checks -
> haven't used it)....
>
> Tim.

Thanks Tim,

Well, the damn thing blew chunks this morning and we had to take it down and
fsck it (which threw up a load of stuff but seems to have eventually fixed
it).

If as a result of the fsck we can finally do a Virtuozzo backup then we'll
be OK and can migrate it to a different hardware node and then re-initialise
the RAID volume or something.

Faris.