Possible disk corruption - help and advice appreciated

Faris Raouf asterisk at raouf.net
Tue Sep 21 09:19:16 CDT 2010

> > What *useful* and ideally not heart stopping things should I be
> > looking to do at the next reboot to try to get to the bottom of this?

> My guess would be that the mirror is inconsistent and that you're getting
> weird results depending on which disk is consulted for a given block.

Thanks for the suggestions Jefferson. I think you must be right, or possibly
something more serious is up with the controller.

After some further investigation I've found that there are only about 8
unlinked inodes being reported in /var/log/messages, and these mostly point
to relatively old rpms and headers in the yum cache directory that I would
have expected to have been deleted totally some time ago (months, at least).

I'm going to risk backing up the "problem" VPS using traditional methods
rather than Virtuozzo's vzbackup utility, then reboot and fsck (nearly
called it fdisk!). If this allows me to backup using Virtuozzo it means I'll
also be able to migrate the VPS to a different hardware node, allowing the
"problem" node to be checked over with Dell's diags.

If no problem is found we'll then we'll move on to the disk pulling
procedure :-) Shame the R200 doesn't have hot swap drives!

Faris.