Close DVD drive without OS installed

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Fri Sep 17 09:12:50 CDT 2010

Nick Lunt asks:
> on 2950/710/R900 does anyone know if it's possible to remotely close the
> DVD tray without an OS installed on the server please ?

The type of DVD tray these server systems use (I don't have an R900, but
assume it is like the R710) does not support retract/close - it is not
an OS issue. Generally, rack-mounted systems use CD/DVD trays that are
eject-once (no retract/close support) while tower-style systems use
CD/DVD trays that can retract/close (although I don't have any Dell
tower systems, this is just a very general observation).

@alex
mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com