Which disk controllers work best with Linux?

Stephen Wong stephen at wongstephen.com
Mon Sep 13 20:51:39 CDT 2010

Hi,

In my working place, I've some PERC 5/i, 6/i, SAS 6/i, MD3000i (a low
end iSAN).  My 2 cents of opinion:

1. dump those fake RAID like shit!
2. the iSCSI SAN is a slow performer, although I have quite a lot of
spindles (full house on MD3000i), but Ethernet is still Ethernet, it
never comes close to the 'potential' 100MB/s.  Configuration and using
the Broadcom iSCSI offload driver are big hassles!
3. Both PERC 5/i and 6/i are still rock solid controllers, although
Dell keeps on to sell me the 6Gbps H700, I just can't find a
performance difference.  The disks (spindles) in the RAID matter a
lot, if you have a 8 10krpm disks in a RAID 5, it's very fast.

Stephen WONG