Which disk controllers work best with Linux?

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Mon Sep 13 20:32:46 CDT 2010

Hi all,

After a recent fire in one of our data centres, it's time to go
shopping.  As I've had many problems in the past trying to get
half-decent performance out of the drive controllers in Dell servers,
I'd like to know what others' experiences are.

I don't need anything spectacular, but I'd like to have a dozen or so
people able to load their Word docs at the same time without it grinding
to a halt.  Annoyingly I can get great performance out of Dell desktop
PCs with the same kernel version, just not out of the servers I've had
in the past.

Mostly this seems to be caused by the disks being connected to an awful
hardware RAID controller, but I don't think Dell offer any servers using
the same onboard Intel SATA controllers that work really well on desktop
PCs.  Haven't yet had a server with SAS disks, but as they all go
through a hardware RAID controller I'm a little dubious...

So any suggestions/experience would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,
Adam.