OMSA 6.3 from dell repo - no controller found

Dirk Gfroerer Dirk.Gfroerer at guh-software.de
Mon Sep 13 08:44:07 CDT 2010

>> Hi all,
>> - OMSA 6.3 does not see the controller
>>
>> # omreport storage controller
>> No controllers found
>
> With the kind help of Dell Support we were able to sort things out;
>
> - OMSA 6.3 does not show controllers when the directory /etc/vmware
> exists.
>
> By coincidence the directory existed but VMWare-Server was not installed
> anymore - I could move it away.
> I have yet another server with VMWare installed - don't know what to do
> with it atm...
same situation here. After Dell support told us to move /etc/vmware to
somewhere else, the controller did show up again. According to their
statement, development is working on a fix. So probably we have to wait
until OMSA 6.4. Cannot move VMware server off this machine atm.

By the way, the installer of OMSA - if you don't use the repository -
does also fail in this scenario. It assumes if /usr/bin/vmware exists,
it is running on ESXi and then fails to determine the version of ESXi
... :o)

Kind Regards,
Dirk