Ubuntu 10.04 / OMSA / SNMP memory issue

Wayne_Weilnau at Dell.com Wayne_Weilnau at Dell.com
Fri Sep 10 13:27:55 CDT 2010

All,
The memory leak issue is still being investigated.  Current indications are that the problem lies in one of the libraries provided by the OS.  Our OS engineering team is working with the OS vendors to confirm and address the issue.  I am unable to provide an expected resolution date at this time.

Wayne Weilnau
Systems Management Technologist
Dell | OpenManage Software Development

Confidentiality Notice | This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces-Lists On Behalf Of Jim Browne
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 12:06 PM
To: Karsten Suehring
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: Ubuntu 10.04 / OMSA / SNMP memory issue

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 05:29:21PM +0200, Karsten Suehring wrote:
> I'm using OMSA on different PowerEdge machines with Ubuntu Linux (64-bit)
> as my OS.
[...]
> Then I tried upgrading the Ubuntu release on one machine to 10.04 (lucid)
> and noticed that the> dsm_sa_snmpd process memory usage grew about 30 MByte
> on each SNMP call from the check_openmanage script.
[...]
> Does anybody have an idea how to solve this problem?

I posted about this to the list a few weeks ago.  Someone from Dell said
they were looking into it.  My temporary solution is inelegant, but
functional:

root at elided:~# cat /etc/cron.hourly/dell-restart-snmp
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use strict;

my $trace = 0;
my $restart;

if (-e "/etc/init.d/dataeng") {
    my $status = `/usr/sbin/service dataeng status | grep snmpd`;
    print "status is $status" if $trace;
    $restart = "not running" if ($status =~ m/stopped/);
    if ($status =~ m/.*pid (\d+)/) {
print "PID $1\n" if $trace;
my $mem = `cut -f1 -d' ' /proc/$1/statm`;
print "Pid is $1 mem is $mem\n" if $trace;
# 524288 4k pages is 2 GB
$restart = "too much memory: $mem" if ($mem > 524288);
    }

    if ($restart) {
        `/usr/sbin/service dataeng restart`;
        print "Restarted due to $restart\n";