3.5in SAS flash drive for R900?

Tim Small tim at seoss.co.uk
Thu Sep 9 03:38:13 CDT 2010

John LLOYD wrote:
> Taking a quick look, Dell doesn't offer this on R900 (or other 10th-gen servers it seems).  And nothing on the upgrade page either.
>
> We're wanting to try out a couple of SSDs in a RAID-0 stripe (PERC-6i controller).  Does anyone have experience with 3rd party drives, or can point out a Dell part that would work?  It probably does not have to be SAS since the 6i will do SATA as well.

We're using the Intel models.  They are not the cheapest, but I trust
their engineering more than various others for the moment (since SSDs in
their current form are a significantly difficult software problem, as
well as hardware).  You'll need to use a 3.5" to 2.5" mount which gives
the correct alignment with the SATA connectors if you're mounting in a
hot-swap caddy.  These are reasonably widely available, but the ones
that come in the Intel retail packs won't do.

Other important questions are:

Will the PERC-6i do TRIM passthrough?  If not, you'll need to use an
AHCI controller such as the server's onboard Intel SATA controller etc.
(this is what we are using).

Does your kernel and filesystem support TRIM too?

Cheers,

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.