Advice for a debian server

Kevin Davidson kevin at indigospring.co.uk
Tue Sep 7 08:07:54 CDT 2010

On 7 Sep 2010, at 12:18, Johan Sjöberg <johan.sjoberg at deltamanagement.se> wrote:

> These "enterprise" distros are generally very bloated. Who wants Bluetooth support and a desktop environment on a server? You need to do a lot af deselecting when installing RHEL/CentOS to get a reasonably slim installation. And you are also "forced" to use LVM, which is quite unneccesary when you use hardware RAID.

Pardon? These are two very different things. I think you need to do some reading on what LVM can do for you (think snapshots, growing/moving filesystems on live systems etc)

> Debian is really lightweight and reliable (yes it is). But Ubuntu is too edgy to be used in production, I would rather run Debian testing.

The LTS versions mean exactly that. Long term support.

> The fact a product is commercial doesn't make it more reliable. Sure, it's nice to have commercial support, if you need it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not like RedHat codes all their packages themselves. The "hobby developer's" code goes into RHEL as well.

Depends on your company policies - many insist on having external support in place for all systems. Or maybe you rely on third party software that is only tested/qualified on RHEL/SLES.

All the distributions have different advantages and disadvantages. I'll continue to install the most appropriate for a given situation.

--
Kevin Davidson
Apple Certified System Administrator

indigospring :Making Sense of IT