Advice for a debian server

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Sep 7 06:41:47 CDT 2010

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010, Johan Sjöberg wrote:

> Well, that's a nice flamebait if I ever saw one...

Quite, but that doesn't mean you need to rise to it.

> These "enterprise" distros are generally very bloated. Who wants Bluetooth
> support and a desktop environment on a server?

A single kickstart for what you like and you get what you want with the
minimum of fuss.  Anyway, why does RHEL have to be for servers.  I use the
same base OS for servers, desktops, and appliance type devices.  It's all
good.

> You need to do a lot af deselecting when installing RHEL/CentOS to get a
> reasonably slim installation.

Yes, it's not as good as some distros if you want a really tight install, but
you can get /reasonably/ small, /reasonably/ easily.

> And you are also "forced" to use LVM, which is quite unneccesary when you
> use hardware RAID.

No you're not.  LVM is the default, but a couple of clicks during the install
and you can ignore it entirely.  Also, if you think hardware RAID negates all
the benefits of LVM then you really don't understand LVM.

> Debian is really lightweight and reliable (yes it is).

Sure.  But that doesn't make RHEL unreliable.  They're both much more reliable
than IRIX ;)

> The fact a product is commercial doesn't make it more reliable. Sure, it's
> nice to have commercial support, if you need it. Correct me if I'm wrong,
> but it's not like RedHat codes all their packages themselves. The "hobby
> developer's" code goes into RHEL as well.

Absolutely.  And to throw the inverse into the mix, it's not like Debian
doesn't benefit from the work done by Redhat or other commercial linux
vendors.

jh