Advice for a debian server

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Tue Sep 7 06:37:42 CDT 2010

On Tuesday 07 September 2010, Johan Sjöberg wrote:
> Well, that's a nice flamebait if I ever saw one...
>
> These "enterprise" distros are generally very bloated. Who wants Bluetooth
> support and a desktop environment on a server? You need to do a lot af
> deselecting when installing RHEL/CentOS to get a reasonably slim
> installation. And you are also "forced" to use LVM, which is quite
> unneccesary when you use hardware RAID.

Minor correction: You're not forced to use LVM it's only anacondas default
suggestion to do so.

> Debian is really lightweight and reliable (yes it is). But Ubuntu is too
> edgy to be used in production, I would rather run Debian testing.
>
> The fact a product is commercial doesn't make it more reliable. Sure, it's
> nice to have commercial support, if you need it.

It can be very nice to use the same dist that the ISVs/IHVs you depend on are
testing and qualifying on/for (assuming you have such external dependencies).

A 2nd thing to like (and dislike) about *EL dists is the fairly fixed set of
versions.

And a 3rd thing is support offerings (although there are companies that offer
support for non-*EL dists too).

> Correct me if I'm wrong,
> but it's not like RedHat codes all their packages themselves. The "hobby
> developer's" code goes into RHEL as well.

Very true, the same packages, the same code base. The only difference one can
claim would be the amount of testing and qualifacation done on a specific
subset of all these "non-comercial hobby codes".

Just my .02€
 Peter