Advice for a debian server

Johan Sjöberg johan.sjoberg at deltamanagement.se
Tue Sep 7 06:18:22 CDT 2010

Well, that's a nice flamebait if I ever saw one...

These "enterprise" distros are generally very bloated. Who wants Bluetooth support and a desktop environment on a server? You need to do a lot af deselecting when installing RHEL/CentOS to get a reasonably slim installation. And you are also "forced" to use LVM, which is quite unneccesary when you use hardware RAID.

Debian is really lightweight and reliable (yes it is). But Ubuntu is too edgy to be used in production, I would rather run Debian testing.

The fact a product is commercial doesn't make it more reliable. Sure, it's nice to have commercial support, if you need it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not like RedHat codes all their packages themselves. The "hobby developer's" code goes into RHEL as well.

/Johan