Advice for a debian server

Tim Connors tim.w.connors at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 20:01:19 CDT 2010

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010, Tapas Mishra wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Morten P.D. Stevens
> <mstevens at imt-systems.com> wrote:
> > Hi Emmanuel,
> >
> > my suggestion is to use CentOS with Dell Poweredge servers. All Dell Poweredge machines are certified for RHEL and CentOS is 100% binary compatible with RHEL.
> >
> > If you need without fail a debian based linux distro then use Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server.
> >
> even  I will recommend Mortens suggestions.

But if you know what you're doing, often debian is better.  Depends on
your needs and skills.  We run debian fine here, with no difficulty
talking to the raid cards and hardware sensors etc that we use, and
because debian is a far better quality distribution than redhat (and thus
centos), and is a bit more engineered (rather than slapped together with
100mph masking tape) than ubuntu, you might get a lot better mileage out
of it.

--
TimC
You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull