how to enable BMC sensors

Zhichao Li lzcmichael at gmail.com
Mon May 24 18:00:38 CDT 2010

Hi Wayne:

I checked the Systems Management DVD and couldn't find a Dell version of
IPMI Tool. Instead, I use some
online tool to update the ipmitool. I further run the commands in my Cent
OS:

[root at gr3 ~]# ipmitool sdr
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No
such file or directory
Get Device ID command failed
Unable to open SDR for reading

Sounds like my BMC fireware hasn't loaded successfully on my PowerEdge R710,
because /dev/ipmi/0
couldn't be found. Or because my OS is Cent OS?

Besides, I also checked what you said about those disabled sensors. I think
you are right, because "
Dell does not provide support for any internal sensor marked *disabled* or *not
readable* when using the command *ipmitool sdr*."

In order to further track the problem, I also checked the available ipmi
module on my Cent OS, I get nothing returned
of the following command:
#lsmod | grep ipmi

In a word, I'd like to know the answer of the following questions:

1. From the output of ipmitool sdr, can I ensure that the drivers for BMC
haven't been installed(or supported) in my Cent OS?
If so, where can I get those drivers for my CentOS?
2. Since currently, no ipmi modules is installed on my CentOS, where can I
find and install those ipmi modules on my CentOS for Dell PowerEdge R710?

Thanks,
Zhichao

--
Zhichao Li