Dell Power Edge R710 with CentOS

Shyam Iyer shyam_iyer at Dell.com
Mon May 24 14:39:48 CDT 2010

On 05/24/2010 11:12 AM, Markus Kovero wrote:

> >>I'm not sure what "latest" means, but we did manage to find the root
> >>cause of the failure where the MSI bit would get stuck - which also
> >>explains why disabling MSI-X worked around it.  The right solution is
> >>to use code already in the driver to manage the timeout on that bit
> >>automatically, which is what we are testing with 5.5+ and expect in
> >>newer RHEL kernels ASAP.
>
> >I'm really glad I follow this mailing list and hence came to know of
> this problem. If Dell has been aware of this issue isn't there some
> way to notify >users? I have ~300 R410 systems here and not a word
> about this. Dell, how do you expect users to find out!?
> >
> >--
> >Rahul
>
> Even through support it took us couple months to figure the severity
> of the problem, which eventually came to us after we started googling,
> not advised from Dell. It seems they're not that interested in keeping
> user community informed about such minor details.
>
> From what I've gathered;
>
> Redhat is investigating (includes workarounds)
>
> http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-26837

This should change and this was specifically published for an interim
solution while the permanent fix in the driver was being developed.
(Thanks to Dell)

> and Broadcom made fix in driver-level
>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/51106
>
> afaik this is driver-level "timeout" for stuck MSI-bit.
>
> Disabling C-states seems to work, I think. Although it increases power
> consumption of the servers.

Disabling C-States is not the right fix.

> What I'd like to see, is that there should be lower level fix for
> issue, so that non-redhat-glue-fixed systems could work with c-states
> enabled, like they should.
>
> Yours
>
> Markus Kovero

The permanent driver fix is upstream and non-redhat Linux OSes should be
able to patch their kernels with this fix.

Its not possible to fix each distro and kernel but Dell has always tried
to push driver fixes upstream working through its partners to cater to a
wider set of Linux users.