Mounting an LVM disk

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Mon May 24 12:39:58 CDT 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 12:27, Weiner, Michael wrote:

> I have a Dell server that uses the Perc 6i controller and had 5 1Tb
> disks installed (1 for OS and the other 4 in a Raid0 for a large storage
> pool). The owner of the server wanted me to swap out the 1Tb disks for
> 2Tb disks - easy enough I thought, but I ran into some issues trying to
> clone the OS disk to the new 2Tb disk, so I just did a re-install. So
> basically we now have 5 2Tb disks (1 for OS and the other 4 in a Raid0)
> like before. I was able to copy off the data that was on the original
> Raid0 volume and put it back on the newly created one that is now 8Tb
> and that worked well enough. But since I was unable to clone the
> original OS disk, and proceeded to simply re-install the OS, the owner
> apparently wants his $HOME directory copied off (which of course resides
> on the 1Tb OS disk). So, being a SAS disk, I purchased an ICY Dock which
> allows me to mount the SAS disk in an external enclosure, and plug it in
> via USB (SAS -> SATA -> USB). However when I do a 'fdisk -l /dev/sdc' I
> receive the following:
>

> [root at gc-server2 ~]# fdisk -l /dev/sdc
>

> Disk /dev/sdc: 2199.0 GB, 2199023255552 bytes
>
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 267349 cylinders
>
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>

> Disk /dev/sdc doesn't contain a valid partition table
>

> Two things are a bit unusual here, first of all its not a 2Tb disk, and
> secondly why cant I read the partition table.
>

> Originally the OS was on an LVM volume and by default it was setup as
>

>  /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults
> 1 1
>

> My question is, is there a way to connect and mount this via USB and be
> able to get the $HOME directory stuff off that I failed to copy off
> before removing the disk?

If your disk were intact, yeah, you should be able to vgimport the volume
group and mount it.  But the partition table results you're seeing are
consistent with someone trying to clone a 1Tb disk to a 2Tb one and
getting the source and target mixed up, overwriting the partition table on
the 1Tb with the table from the 2Tb.  In which case, fuhgeddaboudit .