Dell Power Edge R710 with CentOS

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon May 24 10:18:31 CDT 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 09:58:09AM -0500, Rahul Nabar wrote:
>    On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Matt Domsch <[1]Matt_Domsch at dell.com>
>    wrote:
>
>      > (eg. in solaris) Dell has been aware of the issue for months without
>      > real fix, just workarounds.
>
>      I'm not sure what "latest" means, but we did manage to find the root
>      cause of the failure where the MSI bit would get stuck - which also
>      explains why disabling MSI-X worked around it. *The right solution is
>      to use code already in the driver to manage the timeout on that bit
>      automatically, which is what we are testing with 5.5+ and expect in
>      newer RHEL kernels ASAP.
>
>    I'm really glad I follow this mailing list and hence came to know of this
>    problem. If Dell has been aware of this issue isn't there some way to
>    notify users? I have ~300 R410 systems here and not a word about this.
>    Dell, how do you expect users to find out!?

In general we don't have a method to notify all users.  While we may
be the most "direct" company, often times the end user system
administrator (who needs this level of detail) is not the same person
as who placed the order (who generally doesn't want this level of
detail).

This list serves as one method to communicate such out.  Our standard
tech support processes, which often involves users experiencing the
problem to call in, is another method to be told of the workarounds as
we know them.  Your account representative may have other avenues to
communicate with you too.  Furthermore, once an updated driver is
released to support.dell.com to address this completely, you can
receive an email from the FileWatch system to notify you of such
updates.

Thanks,
Matt

--