Dell Power Edge R710 with CentOS

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Fri May 21 07:14:14 CDT 2010

On Fri, 21 May 2010, Tom Boland wrote:

> ... I had a 410 in to test, and I do believe it uses a different
> broadcom chip.  This is one from an R710, as shown in lspci:
>
> 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709
> Gigabit Ethernet (rev 20)
>
> I think yours will be a BCM 5716, and I'm not able to comment on how the
> drivers are for that chip.

Indeed the R710 has BCM5709 and the R410 has BCM5716, but both (at least,
the ones I have) are subject to similar issues, even under medium load.
With disable_msi=1, they are both solid. CentOS 5.4.

Steve
Steve Thompson                 E-mail:      smt AT vgersoft DOT com
Voyager Software LLC           Web:         http://www DOT vgersoft DOT com
39 Smugglers Path              VSW Support: support AT vgersoft DOT com
Ithaca, NY 14850
   "186,300 miles per second: it's not just a good idea, it's the law"