Serial over LAN

Case van Rij case.vanrij at gmail.com
Thu May 20 23:06:30 CDT 2010

Marc,

I'll admit to being terribly confused by dell serial console over LAN
as well but once configured correctly it can give you full console
access over IPMI, from POST, BIOS to bootloader and OS.

I have this configured on 45 R410s with iDRAC Express and have tried
it in the past on 50 R210s and a handful of 1950s and I have to say,
even once configured it's actually rather frustrating to use and it's
no substitute for a cyclades-like serial console server.

I initially tried to use this with the ethernet port on my regular
switch (even though the ethernet port was dedicated to PXE and IPMI,
all normal traffic is using an add-on 10G card) and the management
port would simply stop responding to network traffic on a daily basis.
I've since moved the ethernet to an isolated switch and it's
marginally better, but the serial-over-LAN is still so unresponsive
that remote management automation frequently times out while trying to
manage the server).

The configuration I ended up with, which works for me, but may not be perfect,

/admin1-> racadm getconfig -g cfgIpmiSol
cfgIpmiSolEnable=1
cfgIpmiSolBaudRate=115200

/admin1-> racadm getconfig -g cfgSerial
cfgSerialBaudRate=115200
cfgSerialConsoleEnable=0
cfgSerialCom2RedirEnable=1
cfgSerialSshEnable=1

/admin1-> racadm getconfig -g cfgIpmiSerial
cfgIpmiSerialConnectionMode=1

/admin1-> racadm getconfig -g cfgIpmiLan
cfgIpmiLanEnable=1

# omreport chassis remoteaccess
Attribute : Enable IPMI Over LAN
Value     : Yes
Attribute : SOL Enabled
Value     : Yes

# omreport chassis biossetup
Attribute : Dual NIC
Setting   : Enabled with 1st NIC PXE and 2nd NIC None

Serial Communications
Attribute : Serial Communications
Setting   : On with Console Redirection via COM2

Attribute : Console Redirection After Boot
Setting   : Enabled

Attribute : External Serial Connector
Setting   : Not Connected

Attribute : Console Redirection Failsafe BAUD Rate
Setting   : 115200

Attribute : Serial Address Select
Setting   : Serial Device1=COM1, Serial Device2=COM2

yymv on the 1950s, I don't have one in front of me to check at the moment.

Regards,
Case