Serial over LAN

Jefferson Ogata poweredge at antibozo.net
Thu May 20 13:01:00 CDT 2010

On 2010-05-20 17:45, Chandrasekhar_R at dell.com wrote:
> Install OpenManage Server Administrator on that system. It will provide
> you GUI or CLI interface to configure the SOL.

Talk about using a sledgehammer to drive a pushpin.

Nice job quoting the entire digest too.

On 2010-05-20 16:14, Marc Moreau wrote:
> I'm looking to setup Serial over Lan on my cluster of PowerEdge 1950's.   Does anyone have this setup?

Sure. Use it all the time.

> I'm kind of confused on how all the redirection works.  From posts that I have read, we redirect console to a serial port, then tell the BMC to forward the serial console to the LAN.  But my BIOS has a 'Direct Connect' mode.  My IPMI doesn't have any of the Serial redirect.  I fear that I am confusing IPMI and BMC somewhere too.  Could some take a stab at explaining this please.

Assuming you don't have DRACs in these systems, the BMC is the device
that is providing the IPMI interface.

1. In BIOS setup, set console redirection to use COM2.

2. In BMC setup (control-E during POST), enable serial over LAN, set IP
and password.

** First thing you should do in BMC setup is reset to default. The BMCs
often ship with a weird non-default setting that will cause lots of
serial port feedback if you try to run a getty on the serial console.

3. Use "ipmitool -H bmc-host -I lanplus -U bmc-user sol activate" to
reach the serial console.

> One further question. If I do get this setup, does it give me 'full console access' over serial. In other words, do I get the BIOS POST, or does the serial console only come up after post?  I am aware that I need to setup my OS (Centos) to spawn a serial tty, and this I have done before, just not over baseboard LAN.

Yes, you will get the entire POST including the initial BIOS id. You
might also want to set "Redirection after boot" in the BIOS. In grub,
add something like "console=ttyS1,57600 console=tty0" to your kernel line.

If you have DRACs the setup is actually quite similar, but you can also
do it completely remotely by hitting the web service on 192.168.0.120
(IIRC) to access the KVM console, then use that to do the BIOS setup.