drac4's uses

Bond Masuda bond.masuda at jlbond.com
Tue May 18 23:36:29 CDT 2010

> > As far as operating system support is concerned, it doesn't matter
> what
> > o/s is installed on the server for using the remote access. But  the
> > machine you use to do the controlling / viewing will *probably*  have
> > be using Windows. Macs certainly don't work. When the DRAC4
>
> Windows desktop isn't a problem.
>
> > was released is was claimed you could view using RedHat & a certain
> > version of Firefox, but I never heard of anyone actually doing so
> (cue
> > respondents coming out of the woodwork). DRAC4 viewing remains
> compatible
> > with Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8, however - you just  need to
> > adjust the browser's security settings to allow the viewer  applet to
> run.

I just wanted to add that indeed, I am able to use the DRAC4 console on
Linux with Firefox. I'm using Fedora10/x86_64 with Firefox 3.0.x. It is a
Java app, so as long as it you have working Java for your Firefox, it should
work. The Virtual CD/media is another story... it has worked on and off for
me; not reliably. The console works 100% of the time for me. I should also
mention this is a DRAC 4/P in a PE1800 in rackmount configuration.

-Bond