Dell Power Edge R710 with CentOS

Tom Boland tom at t0mb.net
Tue May 18 06:23:05 CDT 2010

I haven't upgraded any of our boxes from 5.4 yet, but I have to say I've
had two big problems with the stock bnx2 NIC drivers from 5.4 (for both
R610s and R710s).  The first problem was that the NICs would just die
randomly when under heavy load, which required a network restart.  This
in particular can be resolved by adding *options bnx2 disable_msi=1* to
/etc/modprobe.conf.  After that, I was finding that a box which was in
production would occasionally start intermittently losing
packets/connectivity, which also required a network restart.  I couldn't
resolve this without getting the latest NIC drivers from the Dell website.

Now I don't have any problems, but I've stopped my kernel from
automatically updating until I set the NIC driver up using DKMS.

It's not easy to test that the problem could be fixed in RHEL/CentOS
5.5, but I'll give it a go.

Cheers.  Tom.