R710 H700 FreeBSD 8 crashes

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Thu May 6 19:25:16 CDT 2010

> I've been getting page faults and kernel panics recently and would like
> some pointers to figuring out what's happening .

Page faults are normal, otherwise known as "swap".  There must've been
an error reading or writing to swap space.

> panic: ffs_freefile: freeing free inode
> panic: ffs_blkfree: freeing free block
> panic: ufs_dirbad: /usr: bad dir ino 1271883 at offset 80: mangled entry

All these errors seem to indicate disk corruption.  I guess you'll need
to figure out whether it's the FreeBSD driver causing this (no idea how
mature it is) or whether your disks really are corrupted.

Cheers,
Adam.