disabling boot devices on poweredge servers?

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Tue May 4 17:22:27 CDT 2010

The syscfg utility provides a mechanism to change the default boot
order, but I would like (for security reasons) to disable boot from USB
or CD-ROM (I can turn off PXE boot from the NICs).  I don't want to use
a BIOS system password (as these are servers and need to be able to
reboot unattended) but will enable a BIOS setup password to lock in the
changes once they are set.

I can see how to disable boot devices in the F2 setup screen, but would
like a way to do this programmatically, without running Expect on a
DRAC/BMC serial console session.

Any suggestions?  Is this possible using OMSA?

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com