Storage Configuration using R710 and MD1200

christian.peper at kpn.com christian.peper at kpn.com
Tue May 4 11:37:44 CDT 2010

Ken,

I can't speak about the MD1200 as we use DMX-3/4 SAN devices.
But I'd go with option 2 instead of 1.

A) using your MD to offer virtual devices may give you options utilizing the intelligence of that box. Say to mirror a drive or copy devices over dark fiber to replicate them on another site.
B) should a virt device fail, you can use your MD box to create another, restore a backup and continue.

If it is all one large file system, you depend only on Linux to give you storage smarts. With option 2 you can have both. If you have good SAN people, they'll know how to deal with it.
Also, using the smarts of the MD box may let you swap broken drives on the fly as redundance is handled by the MD box. It it's Linux and LVM it all depends on how someone configured the LVM, stripes and so on and so forth. Too many variables. :)

HIH,
Chris.