pe2970 slow boot with cdrom and 2.6.18 kernel

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Mon May 3 20:04:23 CDT 2010

> I'm running xen  with the xen 2.6.18 kernel on a pe2970.
>
> The problem is it takes almost 5 minutes to deal with the cdrom at boot.
> It one by one tries different dma methods.
> Pretty sure the times are bogus as the root partition was not mounted yet.
> The cd is ata2.
>
> At the moment I have disabled the cdrom in bios.
>
> I thinking of trying libata.dma=1  for the kernel in grub.
> Any suggestions?

It looks like a problem with the drive or the cable, I believe this sort
of behaviour happens when the kernel can't get a proper response from
the drive (but it gets enough of a response to know that there's some
device connected.)  Can you try plugging in a different drive (or moving
to a different SATA port) to see if it makes a difference?

Cheers,
Adam.