Dell DTK bootable iso or pxe images with Cobbler

Tom Rockwell rockwell at pa.msu.edu
Wed Mar 3 20:26:20 CST 2010

Jon,

The DTK ISO is bootable.  You can also PXE boot using images from the
disk.  I don't grok the full DTK setup, however, if you just PXE boot
with the kernel and initrd (files SA.1 and SA.2) you'll have a Linux
system that supports BIOS/Firmware updates and the syscfg tool.  It uses
busy box, so is pretty small but has the usual UNIX utilities.  It can
be passed a script to download and run as a kernel commandline option.
I guess you could template that script...  Or you could make a little
script that used wget to pull in a cgi generated script...

Anyways, it seems to me an advantage of using the images from the DTK is
that they should support the Dell tools.  We find that our production OS
(a recompile of RHEL54) doesn't run all the Bios update packages.

-Tom Rockwell