Dell DTK bootable iso or pxe images with Cobbler

Jon Sabo jonathan.sabo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 10:12:31 CST 2010

List,

I want to be able to automatically configure bios settings and raid
settings and whatever else I can configure as part of a
pre-provisioning process.  I'm pretty sure the Dell Deployment toolkit
is the right set of tools.  The things is I don't want to have to
install them and have them on the systems.  I just want to have an
automatically configured bios, raid, whatever else but I want to use
Cobbler's builtin conifg management
(https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/BuiltinConfigManagement) to
render templated bios config files. Does Dell provide or could they
provide a bootable iso that can be made into a pxe image to configure
the bios.  I want to pxe into an image, configure the bios and then
reboot and install the os using Cobbler.  I don't want to have to use
open manage or have dell tools left on the systems following the
install.

They have some docs on how to pxe boot any live cd on the Cobbler web site.

https://fedorahosted.org/cobbler/wiki/HowToPxeAnyLiveCd

I talked to some Dell guys on IRC and one of them had actually built a
similar setup for himself at one point.

Does anyone on the list have a setup like this?

Thanks,

Jonathan