R410's shipped out with BIOS showing 4 cores instead of 8

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 17:22:55 CST 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Big Wave Dave <bigwavedave at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Rahul Nabar <rpnabar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Has anyone seen this problem before? I have dual socket Nehalems with
>> twin quad core chips. When I booted the OS it showed only 4 cores. I
>> went to the BIOS and found under Processor Settings the entry
>> Cores-per-processor set to "Dual"
>>
>> If I change it to "All" everything is ok again.

Thanks guys for helping out! I got the official answer from Dell just
a few minutes ago. Apparently the Dell servers are doing this strange
BIOS setting by design. I quote my Technical Account Manager below.

##########
[snip]
My apologies we were quite busy today, and I was just about to email
you with the results. I have been able to check our tools, and with
several technicians. The bios setting by default is set to dual. This
is the same for the R710, R410, and R510 servers. As of right now it
looks like the only way to change that is by either physically going
to each server, and booting into the bios and changing the processor
settings.
[snip]

 R410's R710 and R510 all are doing this currently (says my TAM).

I can't say why but I was told it's a "feature" not a "bug". Very
non-intuitive to me. I can't see why an 8 core server defaulting to 4
core makes sense.....

--
Rahul