Poweredge servers running in low temperature environment

Matthew Geier matthew at acfr.usyd.edu.au
Sun Jan 31 16:41:59 CST 2010

Philip Tait wrote:
> We are installing a couple of PE servers (2900 and R710) at our summit
> facility. Ambient temperature can be as low as 1C (dewpoint at -15C).

 I suspect the main concern is condensation, so the air would have to be
pretty dry at such low temperatures. So dry that static electricity
build up might be an issue.

(Speaking as some one who's just had a $8000 controller board in a HVAC
die a 2nd time, as condensation from an uninsulated air duct dripped
water into it).

 It as occurred to me the hard disks might be out of spec at such a low
temperatures - and they are mechanical devices with quite fine
tolerances. This temperature may be below their design limits. I just
looked up a ST31000640SS a drive that might typically be in a server and
it's specs say it's minimum operating temperature is 5 degrees C.