raid10 array size limit?

Ryan Langseth langseth at meridian-enviro.com
Thu Jan 28 10:47:39 CST 2010

Sandro Possa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So, I was about to order a r710, and asked for 6 disks of 1TB each, to
> build a raid10 array with them.
>
> The odd part is that my sales rep told me that he couldnt sell me this
> config - 6x1TB disks in a raid10 array - because "the sum of all disks
> in a raid10 can be greater than 3.6TB". He said it twice, so I'm
> positive that he meant what he said. But, if I did a raid5, it was fine,
> I could use all the disks.
>
> After some googling I found nothing that could lead me to this
> information. Reading PERC 6/i and 6/E documentation I found nothing too.
>
> Do any of you ever heard about this?

I am certain this is wrong, I have a r710 (and a 2950) with 1tb disks
and raid 10 running right now.  What your sales rep may have meant was
they cannot sell it with a RAID 10 config because they do not have a
disk image big enough for that. We got ours with RAID 5 and rebuilt.

One other thing to note you cannot create more than one Virtual disk
with raid10, so you will need to use GPT for partitioning.