R710 memory warning leads to packet loss in CentOS

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Mon Jan 25 15:19:50 CST 2010

Hi,

We've had a mysterious issue on some of our R710s, if you populate the memory in a 'non-optimal way' and it gives you the error message about how you should do it correctly, we've noticed that when servers get a certain amount of network traffic say between 15-30Mbps that the server will lose packets.

I know the simple answer is to just 'do it correctly' but if it has such a harsh impact on system performance why would it boot at all?

-Drew