RAID expansion

Steve Thompson smt at vgersoft.com
Tue Jan 19 16:57:06 CST 2010

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, James Bensley wrote:

>> On Jan 19, 2010, at 10:46 AM, Flaherty, Patrick wrote:
>>> I was under the impression that the linux kernel refuses to detect
>>> changes to the physical device that the root file system is mounted
>>> from. I've always had to reboot to get the kernel to recognize new
>>> geometry on single physical device machines.
>
> I think you're right but if you are using a separate data partition
> for say the root file system, / and /allmydata; and you expand
> /allmydata to fill our the new physical drives no reboot is needed..I
> think?!?

In my case I was resizing a data-only volume; the root file system and the
rest of the O/S was on a different virtual disk. I don't use partitions on
the data volume so partprobe is not of use (yes, I tried it). It will be a
little while before I get the chance to try this out again, but I will
report back when I do.

In other news: anyone know how to boot RHEL/CentOS from a virtual disk
that is more than 2GB in size? For example, if one has a PE2900 with eight
1TB drives, builds them into a single RAID-6 virtual disk, and installs
the O/S. You get a GPT-format partition table, and the system cannot boot
from that (at least, the install fails with a message to this effect).

Steve